November is Men’s Mental Health Month, and it is a time to raise awareness of the unique mental health challenges faced by men and boys.In addition, it is also a time to encourage men to seek help for mental health problems, and to challenge the stigma associated with mental illness.
The latest studies on men’s mental health tell us that men are more likely to internalize their emotions, and that they are less likely to seek help for mental health problems than women. However, the good news is that there are a number of effective treatments for male mental health problems, including therapy and medication.
Here are some of the things that we can do to improve men’s mental health this November Mental Health Month:
- Educate men about mental health: It is important to educate men about mental health, so that they are more aware of the signs and symptoms of mental health problems, and so that they feel more comfortable seeking help.
- Challenge traditional masculine norms: We need to challenge traditional masculine norms that discourage men from talking about their feelings and seeking help.
- Make mental health services more accessible to men: We need to make mental health services more accessible to men, by reducing the stigma associated with mental illness and by making it easier for men to find and access the services they need.
- Support men’s social connections: Men need strong social connections to help them cope with stress and adversity. We can support men’s social connections by encouraging them to spend time with friends and family, and by providing opportunities for men to connect with other men.
Here are some resources that can help men who are struggling:
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
- The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI): 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)
- Men’s Health Network
Let’s work together to break the stigma surrounding men’s mental health and to support men who are struggling. As a step forward, you can download Mistikist.